The Lower Passaic River Restoration Project begins with a study of
the environmental conditions of the river. The study will produce a plan
of action to achieve the goals of the Project.
Goals of the Lower Passaic River Restoration Project:
- Remediate Contaminated Sediments
- Improve Water Quality
- Restore Degraded Shorelines
- Restore and Create New Habitats
- Enhance Human Use
Objectives of the Study:
- Characterize the nature and extent of contamination in the Lower
- Characterize the mechanisms governing long-term fate and
transport of site contaminants.
- Assess the risks to human and ecological health posed by the
contamination in the river.
- Characterize the function and structure of candidate restoration
sites in the Lower Passaic River watershed.
- Evaluate remedial alternatives that meet both CERCLA and WRDA
selection criteria to address unacceptable human health and
ecological risks and provide for restoration within the Lower
Passaic River watershed.
- Evaluate options for reducing costs associated with dredging
NY/NJ Harbor sediments contaminated by pollutants originating from
the Passaic River.
- Support development of a Natural Resource Damages assessment.
- If we take no action on the Lower Passaic River, when will
contaminants of concern recover to acceptable concentrations?
- What actions can we take on the River to significantly shorten
the time required to achieve acceptable concentrations for human and
- Are there contaminated sediments now buried that are likely to
become exposed following a major flood, possibly resulting in an
increase in contaminants in the biota of the River?
- What actions can we take on the River to significantly improve
the functionality of the Lower Passaic River watershed?
- If the risk assessments for Newark Bay demonstrate unacceptable
risks due to contaminant export from the Passaic River, will the
plan proposed for the Passaic River significantly shorten the time
required to achieve acceptable concentrations in Newark Bay, or will
additional actions be required on the Passaic River?
- What actions can we take on the River to significantly reduce
the cost of dredged material management for the navigational
- What actions can we take to restore injured resources and
compensate the public for their lost use?
Download a concise fact sheet on the Lower Passaic River Restoration